Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What's In My Bag? A Packing List For Your Extended Travels


Trying to get organized enough to pack life up and head out for an extended period of time is a challenge.  When I look at this word, challenge, I sort of think soul crushing is a better term to describe what the process feels like.  I arrived back in the US from New Zealand on December 7, 2012, and I head out on this trip to Turkey, Jordan, France, Italy, and Greece on February 25th.  Preparing for this adventure has taken every single bit of the time in between December and February, and I’m so glad that I had the time off to get myself in order. Of course, I had a few hiccups (That Time I Got a Misdemeanor While Traveling) in between now and then, but I have somehow escaped the lasso that almost kept me from going on this particular round of traipsing. 


There are a number of blogs and websites that have been invaluable in this preparation.

Legal NomadsAnswering OliverYallah ByeREI, and finally, Sierra Trading Post.  I probably read 100 travel blog entries on trip preparation, but they were so incredibly different based on trip length, location, purpose, etc. that my head sometimes started to spin.  After much thought, I finally have my list pinned down.

Casey's Packing List

Packing Aids
Osprey Farpoint 70 pack with detachable daypack (my second Osprey pack - and so far my absolute favorite.  This pack is AMAZING.  It is both a pack and a travel bag and has a zip up for all the straps in case I need to check it.  Since I need to hike and check into airports with this baby, it's absolutely perfect for me.  The front compartment is actually a zip off backpack as well.  Osprey thinks of everything.)


Large Hefty plastic zipper bags



Electronics
15" Macbook laptop and charger
Laptop case
Headphones
Canon Rebel T2i  battery charger
Memory Cards (2) (not pictured)
Nook and Nook charger (thanks mom!!)
Ipod
Iphone 4s and charger




Meds and Such
Ciprofloxacin (for diarrhea)
Benadryl
Benadryl Anti-Itch Cream
Dramamine (motion sickness)
Ortho tri cyclen
Neutrogena Suncreen 60+
Coppertone Sport Sunscreen 30
Band-aids
Bug spray with 100% DEET
Moleskin
Kleenex
Multivitamin
Folic Acid
Tide


Toiletries
Shampoo
Conditioner
Dove Bar Soap
Face lotion with sunscreen
Anti-Acne Treatment
Hairspray
Comb
Headbands (2)
Bobby pins
Hair ties
Makeup
Mini loofah
Wet wipes
Body lotion
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Floss
Vaseline
Diva Cup (Courtesy of Nadine and Anna)
Face scrub
Tweezers
Deodorant
Razor
Cotton Balls
Bun Ring (LOVE this thing)


Misc.
Ducks Unlimited Hat
Moo Cards
Kavu Crossbody Day Bag
Raincover (for pack)
Large Ziplocks
Petzl Headlamp
Mini flashlight
Swiss Army Knife
Ear Warmers
Quick Dry Towel


Clothing

Panties (4)
Sports bras (2)
Regular bra (2)
SmartWool Socks (3 pairs)
Bikinis (2)
Work Gloves
Winter Gloves
Sleep shorts
Nike running shorts





In a 25 L Outdoor Research Compression Sack:
Royal Robbins Hiking Pants
Alice and Olivia Olive Shorts
Wet Seal Pink Scalloped Shorts
Floral Summer Dress (Ended up taking this out)
Lululemon Blue and White Striped Tank
Lululemon Hot Pink Tank
Banana Republic Black Button Up Silk Blouse
St. Croix Striped Blouse
Black cami
Cotton On Striped Long Sleeve
Glassons Merino Long Sleeve
Cotton On Chambray Long Sleeve
Cashmere Cardigan
Blazer
Marmot Raincoat
Northface Denali
Northface Vest (Ended up taking this out of my bag for size)
Running shoes
Merrell Hiking Boots
Havaianas Flip Flops
Black Cap Toe Flats















And of course, gotta have a tiny bit of bling for the road.


Documents
Extra passport photos
Jordan Dinars
US Dollars
Passport
Credit/Debit Card
Print Outs / Reservations and Itineraries

Total weight of pack - 11.2 kg = 24.69 pounds


*Update

I've just arrived in Istanbul, and let me tell you - 25 pounds doesn't feel so light after you have to take public transportation standing up for 45 minutes post 24 hours of travel.  My pack has a feature where you can zip a small backpack off of the main pack.  In this pack are all of my electronics - weight that is not calculated above in my main bag.  I also have a small sleeping bag with me for the desert in Jordan.  

What are your packing strategies?  Can you think of anything I missed?  Alex is carrying my adapter and a few meds, but aside from that I think it's golden!!









2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I knew you would be! I'm already scheming on things I can leave behind...but honestly...I've got nothin!! So so glad I'm not backpacking :)

      Delete