Thursday, February 28, 2013

The "Remember To" List


Before taking off on long term travel, it's important to tie up any loose ends you might have.  This is my "Remember To" List I kept going in my iphone during the last few weeks of my trip. 

*forward mail
*make copies of EVERYTHING (leave them with someone you trust)
*change address on student loans
*register with the state department
*back up computer(s)
*set up a blog
*address book
*Moo Cards (I love business cards, so this is a fun way to keep that going.  You can upload your own pictures so the card is suddenly a conversation piece.  I'm loving them!)
*taxes
*pay lawyer
*ebay
*renew NZ visa
*pick one person to go through your mail/notify you of anything going on – leave a few checks, etc.
*make a detailed list of your stops, etc. for parents or others
*update ipod
*update nook
*pack earplugs and an eyemask for the plane
*remember to pack a scarf and chap stick!
*extra passport photos
*research the weather
*medical insurance
*visa requirements
*consign clothes
*donate clothes
*vaccinations 

Keeping this list on hand no matter what I was doing was really helpful.  Your brain goes a million miles a minute when you're preparing to leave, so it's important that you have a pen and pencil handy when the thoughts come.  By the grace of the dear lord I managed to get all of this done and am now footloose and fancy free over here in Turkey!  I can't wait to share my thoughts with you on Istanbul, but I think I need to let the city soak in a few more days to have a more accurate perspective.  First impressions though, what an interesting layer cake.  It's ancient but modern, conservative but progressive...the city in itself is an oxymoron.  Today's explorations include a ferry across The Bosphorus to the Asian side as well as The Blue Mosque, The Grand Bazaar, and the Basilica Cistern!

Here are a few shots taken yesterday that will inspire you to plan that big trip!  Enjoy :)













1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, your pictures are AMAZING!!! I'm so obsessed with them love! You look like you're having an amazing time :)

    ReplyDelete